We visited the prison, the MAYORS office, and a family in need of a miracle at a alcohol distribution site.
On our way to the prison I noticed that I forgot my ID, Passport copy, phone, everything but I did remember to bring my BIBLE. The significance of this is that if you don’t have a passport copy with you “one is not allowed into the prison in Honduras. I had already resolved that I would stay outside the gates of the prison while the others went inside to keep watch on the vehicles.
After arriving to the prison each one of our team checked in and had their name called out to walk inside the gate. Talk about a “not so good”feeling to be left out... I thought “Lord I’m glad I belong to you” and that when that day comes when we stand before you my name will be called.... Well, out of the blue the guard asks our Honduran leader Dario if I would be joining the team to come inside. Dario explained to him that I had forgotten my ID and passport. The guard said “we all forget sometimes, it’s ok. Let him in....”. I was floored. This was the ultimate picture of GRACE. Our lesson this week for pastor training was on Grace.
Once we were in the prison the prisoners were awaiting us singing and excited for us to arrive.
DWAYNE BELL PERSPECTIVE - The prison was different this year than in years past....
1. We didn’t get to walk thru the cells and prison yard as in former times but we were led around to the guards barracks and infirmary then thru the kitchen to the back corner of the prison where the prison chapel was located.
2. This year women inmates joined the men in chapel.
3. We were greeted and seated promptly and the service was turned over to pastor Dario and our mission team.
4. Giovanni opened his guitar case while the keyboard player (an inmate) turned his keyboard over to Kerlin. Lao also helped as these worship leaders led the inmates in praise and worship. (Approximately 60-70 we think). The worship was beautiful - powerful - anointed - unified - moving.
5. First up to share was Kevin Nugent. Kevin shared his testimony and a GOSPEL message to the prisoners. Kevin preached an anointed, powerful msg with Kerlin translating. Many prisoners interacted with Kevin during his sermon. (16) prisoners responded to the GOSPEL message. What a beautiful sight. Kevin preached with a powerful anointing.
6. Kerlin would share later at lunch that this was the first time he translated that he didn’t feel like just the translator but that part of the time that he was preaching - proclaiming too the grace - Garcia of God, His love & worth of those listening especially the new sons of the King.
7. Whit gave a short powerful follow on to Kevin’s powerful msg... Jesus SOZO = Saves - not only saved. He followed that salvation experience with healing and deliverance. (Whit’s account) - Then Dario called on me to share. I gave a single verse Ephesians 2:8. I explained the Full meaning of SALVATION = SAVE - HEAL - DELIVER. I called for all in need of healing to come for prayer. Then our team surrounded the inmates and we all prayed for them. I then called for any in need for deliverance to stand and raise their hands high. We then prayed for them to be free. It was a powerful picture.
8. Mandy was offered a chance to speak but was really interested in praying for the some. Present. An invitation was given and all the 7 women present quickly filed to the front where Mandy anointed them with oil and Hannah Til, Betsy Trapp, Christy and Marilyn were also laying hands and praying spirit led prophetic prayers over them all. It was amazing that without orchestrating they all had a private intimate time of ministry in the midst of the meeting. When that became apparent - pastor Dario started to address the men again about grace and the plans of restoration the Lord has in mind for them. It was a powerful, beautiful time of 2 meetings going on at once... in peace and in spirit directed order. No one anxious. No one wanting anything but to experience the cloud of presence that was attendant from the first worship song.
9. WHITS PERSPECTIVE on Tim Smith - I then looked out into the crowd and said if any of our team had a word to come forward. Our trip leader TIM SMITH came forward to speak. Tim shared his own story of the importance of FORGIVENESS. He explained that unforgiveness can keep us from having peace and how important it is. Tim explained that he had quite a struggle forgiving his son. So he prayed and asked Christ to bring his forgiveness thru him to his son. Basically that he could not forgive his son without help from Jesus Christ. Tim invited others to release others and to call on Jesus for help in forgiving.
DWAYNE BELLS PERSPECTIVE on Tim Smith - Bro Tim got up at last with a powerful and powerfully peacefully delivered word on forgiveness. Tim told just how the Spirit of God (Grace, Karis, Gracia) flowed thru him to help him forgive his son and how that was pronounced publicly at a church service; with the same spirits leading & power. And how each of the prisoners probably had something just like that in their lives that prayer, the spirit of God, Grace would help them with; and then to make amends or pronounce that forgiveness yay the appropriate time. This word was a beautiful, excellent and timely word.